skulls across america

music, this and that, etc.

Monday, June 07, 2010

new song: only a cog in a wheel

This is a song that came to me last summer, sitting out on the sun porch and singing softly as it was quite late. It's probably the best song I've written, even if a couple of the lines are still in flux.

Only a Cog in a Wheel

Rolling through interstate lines in the night
I may not be true but I hope I'm right
It's just me and the engine racing the light
I'll break every law that I can to get there on time

I'm only a cog in a wheel
I ain't getting paid to think or feel

Sitting here watching the heat rolling in
The AC kicks on but I'm still sweating thin
Thinking 'bout hitting the strip and cashing it in
I may not break even but trying's no sin

I'm only a cog in a wheel
I ain't getting paid to think or feel
I don't need to understand all of the diagrams
I'm only a cog in a wheel

Bumming rides killing the soles on my shoes
Tried playing safe but what's the use?
The white dove is coming and she's still trailing my noose
But I wish her away as I cling to my excuse

I'm only a cog in a wheel
I ain't getting paid to think or feel
I don't need to understand all of the diagrams
I'm only a cog in a wheel

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home