skulls across america

music, this and that, etc.

Friday, June 29, 2007

believers

If you weren't a Wilco believer before seeing them in Columbia, MD last Thursday... you would be afterwards. If you were at the show, of course. Watching must-see-TV or listening to Son Volt records last Thursday would not have done anything for your Wilco-liking status. What a show. Six feet from the front of the house, just a foot or two to the right of Nels... now that's the spot to be in.

The Bob Dylan Show on Sunday was good. Jimmie Vaughan opened for him, which makes twice now that I've seen Jimmie's schtick. I think he played the exact same set as last summer in State College. Anyway, Dylan and his band played a good set, no standout "I can't believe he's playing this" moments but the last two shows really spoiled me in that regard, what with them playing Forever Young and then Senor; but I guess its hard to sneak some obscure numbers into the set when you're playing half your new album. Denny Freeman's solos seemed a lot more interesting than I remember from the last two shows, and both Like A Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower were much different takes than I've heard before- and much better as well!

If you're at a good book store, pick up the new issue of The Believer. Its their annual music issue, and there are some great songs on the mix CD. The I’m From Barcelona and Zach Condon songs are fantastic. Plus you can get introduced to Cleveland's lost musical genius, Bill Fox.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home