skulls across america

music, this and that, etc.

Monday, October 23, 2006

wilco - 10-20-2006


photo: wilcobase on flickr

Finally saw Wilco on Friday night, at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA. Specifically, at the gymnasium at St. Vincent College, which had me good and concerned, but at 8 rows back from the stage it turned out to be about the best sounding concert I can remember seeing. And one of the best performances. I'd never seen Wilco, and didn't really know what to expect, and I definitely didn't expect them to play as hard and loud as they did on many songs. I also had no idea just how great Nels Cline is and how much he adds.

I'll admit, I didn't pick up A Ghost is Born until Saturday evening- I have a history of getting into bands, loving their newest album, and then not getting their next album or two until years after they're released. Maybe psycho-analysis can get to the bottom of it. Anyway, on Friday night I wasn't familiar with a good half of the material they played, but the sound was crisp, and the songs were good, and I enjoyed it as much as if I'd known every song- none of that "when are they going to play something I know" boredom had a chance to creep in.

I also ran into an old friend at the show, and Shane hooked me up with his great recording of the Wednesday night show in Morgantown. I'll have to get a copy of the Latrobe show someday- but it'll have to be in person, as I doubt I'll ever become a bit torrent user.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home