skulls across america

music, this and that, etc.

Monday, June 19, 2006

makin' netflix rich, or, I'm sorry, Mr. Kurosawa



Yes, that's me in the corner, that's me in the spot-light, keeping foreign films from netflix on top of the entertainment stand for six weeks.

Why? Well, there was the matter of a week's vacation early in the shelf-life of the movies (The Hidden Fortress and Wild Strawberries, if you're wondering), and some intense work weeks right before and after said vacation. After that, yes, a West Wing kick in which we watched all of Season Two in about three weeks. And lastly, that lingering doubt that creeps in when I get a more serious film, particularly one with subtitles- will I be in the mood to watch it, and more importantly, will Jayna be in the mood, after watching it, to let me live?

Almost always, both questions are unfounded. City of God, The Hidden Fortress, and A Prairie Home Companion remind me that a great film is worth the effort. The payoff, unless the subtitles give me a headache, is bound to beat whatever "new release genre hit" I was pondering as a safer bet for the evening.

Maybe its time to seriously start building my Kurosawa, and Criterion, libraries- then Netflix won't get the benefit of making 20 bucks off me for three movies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Walt said...

If you're planning on buying SEVEN SAMURAI - wait - don't buy it just yet. A new 3-disc set is coming with new subtitles and a better transfer.

10:42 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home