skulls across america

music, this and that, etc.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

spring + j. tillman

Spring. Funny how it affects me some [most] years- the excitement that grows as the first set of warm days comes through, and visions of tennis, walks, jogs, golfing, biking, ultimate frisbee, and barbecues by the pool dance through my head.

Like so many other of my notions, though, come autumn's end in most years past, I could count on both hands the number of times I did anything on that list. Now's the time that I say, "not this year"... but what's the point, with a list that big! Paring it down, now that's a tough call... on first glance, walks, barbecues, golf, and tennis are my top four keepers. And heck, if you count the last five days, I've got a nice walk, a couple buckets of balls at the driving range, and a couple games of touch football racked up. Bring on spring! (and by spring, I mean, "Johnstown Spring", which means its warm enough to go outside without a knit cap on)

J. Tillman

This song made the rounds on the real mp3 blogs recently, and if you haven't heard it, I can't recommend it highly enough. This guy makes beautiful music; i'd say its in iron & wine territory, but with more authority in his vocals.

J. Tillman - Seven States Across

He's got four complete songs up on his myspace, and they're all great. If'n one had a myspace account, I reckon they could download those songs. My gmail can accept many megabytes of data- feel free to send 'em to me if you've got 'em. Last note- his first (and only) two full-lengths on Keep Recordings are both out of print, but they say they'll probably do another run in late '06/early '07.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home